Friday, May 6, 2011

It's Time To Call An Author...R-E-L-A-X

Probably one of the tasks I find most intimidating at BK is having to phone up the authors and explain why we won't be publishing their book. This is not common practise in publishing (I understand why, authors looooove to talk on the phone, no-one would ever get anything done if publishers just spoke to authors all day), but it's all good experience for me. In fact, now I'm over the absolute fear I had at the beginning, I have to admit I'm actually beginning to enjoy my chats with the authors and find them considerably less intimidating. Mainly for the following reasons: 

a.) Authors are so grateful that a publisher has contacted them, let alone phoned them up to offer feedback. When authors have worked so hard on a manuscript it is nice to at least acknowledge it. 

b.) Although authors are often extremely successful in their field, they generally know nothing about the publishing industry. Therefore I've learnt not to fear them quizzing me on their business book, but am instead now confident we'll just discuss publishing

c.) Authors in general are very interesting people who love to talk. I've ended up discussing topics as obscure as the best sight-seeing places in London to the benefits of a healthy morning routine to the latest film releases.

Therefore when it's time to ring an author, I've learnt it's time to relax and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment