Thursday, April 28, 2011

I'm Going to Vegas In 2hrs 26 mins!!

Therefore this summary of my crazy busy publishing week will be short:

BK meetings - Linkedin is the way forward. I don't think it's quite taken off in the UK yet to the same extent as over here in the US...but it's a networking essential and I'm going to keep working on my Linkedin profile until it's up to scratch.

Book Builders West Crash Course - This was an all day (literally 8am-4pm) workshop where 6 guest speakers spoke for an hour each about their role in the production side of publishing. The key message from the workshop overall was communication, communication, communication. To get things done, communication with clients and amongst different departments is essential. For me a highlight was also when Bill Ralph (speaking on printing and paper) used cut up potatoes to demonstrate how letter pressing worked. 

PGW educational session and cocktail party: I disappointingly learned that even though it may be a 'cocktail' party this does not guarantee that 'cocktails' will actually be served. However it was valuable experience in how to juggle a drink and a plate of free food in your left hand, so that your right hand is available to shake hands with all the new people you meet. Tricky business.

No comments:

Post a Comment