Monday, April 4, 2011

My Favourite Article

Following on from my last post in which I mentioned the media's obsession with analyzing the current changes in the publishing industry, I thought I'd post my favourite article so far. This is an interview with Margaret Atwood in the Globe and Mail. In the chaos people seem to be whipping up around the publishing industry at the moment, I find her to be reassuringly calm on the topic.
 

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/time-to-lead/no-e-books-without-authors-atwood-reminds-us/article1943785/page1/
 

I also like the quotation below about how the publishing industry differs from other businesses:
 

"When people say publishing is a business--actually it's not quite a business. It's part gambling and part arts and crafts, with a business component. It's not like any other business, and that's why when standard businessmen go into publishing and think, 'Right, I'm going to clean this up, rationalize it and make it work like a real business,' two years later you find they're bald because they've torn out all their hair. And then you say to them, 'It's not like selling beer. It's not like selling a case of this and a case of that and doing a campaign that works for all of the beer.' You're selling one book--not even one author any more. Those days are gone, when you sold, let's say, 'Graham Greene' almost like a brand. You're selling one book, and each copy of that book has to be bought by one reader and each reading of that book is by one unique individual. It's very specific."

No comments:

Post a Comment