Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The American Resume and The English CV

This week I've been working on (and stressing out about) my English CV to send out to people in London. It hasn't helped that my most recent CV at the moment is in the style of an American resume, which could not be more different from its English counterpart if it tried. 

Apparently, also, this is not a commonly known cultural difference. I learned this after receiving several baffled emails back in response to my American resume, which I'd sent out to English acquaintances to read over....why is it only a page?, (they'd ask) why have you not put your A-levels on? (they'd be horrified) Why have you listed what you did in each placement rather than the skills you learned? why? why? WHY?

I personally didn't have any idea about the differences myself until I began initial research. But I didn't care back then, why would I get stressed about re-writing my CV when I was about to go off on an adventure to a sunnier climate, where the clothes were so much cheaper, and the junk food was so much better?

Now, however, as the prospect looms of going home, finding a real job, and putting my currency converter away for good (I just love how everything feels cheaper when you converter it), I'm finding the whole resume to CV thing a bit more trying...luckily there are lots of freshly baked cookies everywhere to cheer me up :o)

1 comment:

  1. CV is much longer and can include much more than a standard resume.
    Cv Template

    ReplyDelete