Tuesday, March 29, 2011

So, what do you think of Kate Middleton?

Strangers in America have been approaching me with this question for some time now (mainly in supermarkets and banks in case you were wondering).

In the beginning I used to reply with the truth: ‘I’m sorry I don’t know her’. But I soon realised this could be perceived as quite rude.

I therefore have lately changed tack and have begun trying to draw out a longer answer, ‘ummm yeah I’m not really that into the royal family I’m afraid but ummm yeah she seems fine and everyone in England gets a bank holiday so that’s cool’.

At this point most excited-American-strangers look a bit disappointed. I think they were expecting a bit more from my English accent, something along the lines of me jumping up and down and demanding champagne to toast the happy couple there and then.

Most excited-American-strangers then try and prompt me to respond more adequately by reiterating how excited I should be: ‘but the big days getting close isn’t it, surely you’re excited?’/ ‘do we know who is designing her dress yet, surely you’re excited?!’

I regretfully shrug: ‘I’m sorry I really don’t care’

Nine times out of ten the excited-American-stranger is seriously confused by now, ‘but Kate is the biggest thing since Diana, surely you care?’

At this point I tend to start shuffling slowly away sometimes calling apologetically behind me ‘she does have really nice hair though!’

2 comments:

  1. H

    I'm very disappointed in your disloyal attitude. Not like your parents, who are taking advantage of the extra day's holiday by coming to see you in SF when the "great wedding" is on. Damn...just occurred to me we might miss it. Oh well...

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know the old saw--"you want what you can't have." We very rudely tossed the royals out and now we realize we're missing the bank holidays. We could build the biggest, most beautiful bridge in the world and HRH still wouldn't deign to visit and cut the opening ribbon. Such short-sighted thinking is so typically American.

    ReplyDelete